After merging with local side Wanderers F.C. in 1879 Wolverhampton Wanderers started life playing in their school colours of blue and white. It wasn't until 1881 that the club registered as Gold and Black, a distinctive option taken from the town's coat of arms colours. This change also saw the club adopt the coat of arm as their official crest which carried the motto ‘Out of Darkness Cometh Light’.
During a brief stay in the lower divisions the club were known to play in kits featuring a bold V alongside the town's coat of arms inside a black shield layout. This stayed in place until the 1970s when the club introduced a sleek modern approach to their crest with a WW type treatment alongside a leaping wolf... this evolved into three leaping wolves come 1974.
The club entered the 1970s with a return to the top flight and a new crest. The head on wolf design in a simplistic graphic form would stay in place for a decade, alongside the coat of arms reappearing for the 1993 season. The next major change in 1996 with a re-work to hold up the clubs full title.
In 2002 with a new approach in squad and ownership the club relaunched with a simplistic new crest harking back to the 1970s whilst becoming one of the most recognisable crests in English Football.