The first evidence of a crest for the mighty Hornets stems from 1927, a simple shield bearing the letters WFC held the club shirts strong after the club had been formed wearing the local coat of arms of Watford Borough Council. The wavy blue set to represent the River Colne with the gold escallops taken from the town’s first Mayor.
The 1950s saw the club produce a new club crest that although not worn on shirts included a male deer head, a symbol of the local area of Hertfordshire. This motif would stay strong throughout the clubs history.
In the later part of the 1960s the club brought in a brand new circular design, with the focus pushed to a roaring hornet. A cartoon version known as ‘Harry the Hornet’ appeared in 1974 but proved unpopular with the hornets faithful and was soon lost to the archives.
1978 saw a modern adaptation of their 1950s classic including the return of a deer’s head, albeit facing straight on this time round. This design, now a club classic has seen variations and tweaks over the last 50 years including Centenary design editions and re-workings in typography.