Formed in 1885 by members of St. Mary's Church Young Men's Association the club known still to this day as The Saints did not knowingly wear a crest on their shirts until 1974. Previous to that the club was represented by their town's coat of arms.
In 1973 The Saints launched a competition to design a new crest for the club to launch in the 74/75 season. The winning design represented the local area and the clubs history including a Hampshire Rose, a tree to represent the nearby New Forest, a scarf to represent the fans complete with a halo for the founding saints.
With small tweaks throughout the 1980s the club released its only major change to the design in the mid nineties with an adaption of the Football in the top centre of the crest. This change apparently came in so the club could fully copyright the crest as their own.
For the clubs 125th anniversary The Saints adopted a commemorative crest for the 2010/11 season. Then in 2013 a one off kit special appeared in a simple gold and red colour scheme. Thankful the club reverted to the full colour classic the following season.