Not many clubs have travelled down a rockier road than Nottingham Forest in recent years – but if it’s any consolation, which it almost certainly isn’t, the evolution of the team’s crest has been fairly straightforward since the first time it appeared on player’s shirts 1947.
The initial crest used by Forest was the Nottingham city coat of arms. The only variation made to this over a couple of decades were the letters N.F.F.C. coming in and replacing the castle on the original design.
Things got a little more exciting in 1973 when the club introduced the badge design that’s still on the player’s shirts this very day; a tree (representing Sherwood Forest of course) takes centre stage, and the wavy lines below are a nod to the river Trent that runs through the great city.
We may wonder what Forest’s next move will be in a crest design that’s been unchanged for some time now. But let’s face it; they’re probably concentrating on staying in the league first.
- - - - - -
Written by Dave Farthing