Granted in 1911 yet designed in 1853 the town's civic coat of arms featured as the clubs debut crest. The lion representing Robert De Brus of Skelton, the founder of a priory in the twelfth century of which Middlesbrough now stands. The ship then representing the town's shipbuilding and maritime trade.
1957 saw the club amend their coat of arms layout into a simpler shield shape until around 1971 when their shirts adopted a single white lion. This stand alone lion figure showed no signs of movement aside size and the addition of M.F.C. beneath it until 1987 when a new circular crest was introduced. 2007 saw another addition to the clubs crest list, a detailed lion illustrated within a shield bearing the clubs formation year within a scroll.