The first badge, used from 1887-1894, was a four-panelled shield with the letters A.A.F.C., when City played under their original guise of Ardwick Association Football Club.
The Manchester coat of arms was used for 70 years between 1894 and 1964. The bendlets (diagonal stripes) in the shield are from the arms of the Grelley family, feudal lords of Manchester. Meanwhile, the ship alludes to Manchester's famous Shipping Canal. Although the canal was not opened until 1894 it was projected much earlier, and designs for it were prepared in 1840, two years before these arms were granted.
A round crest was in use from 1965-1973, representing the shield from the arms but different in that the lower section of the shield carried the same colours that were used by a certain club from Salford during the 1950s, namely red and gold.
The club's most-recent badge before the current design shows the familiar shield and an eagle, first used in a City of Manchester crest issued in 1957. The three stars were added to provide a more continental feel to the design. The 2016/17 season saw the club return to a more traditional crest, with the familiar circular shield badge returning.
- - - - - -
Written by Harry Almond