The Tigers earned their nickname as a result of the club's colours. As such, variety of tiger heads have been used on the club crests since their first introduction in 1947. Before this, the club had used a crest depicting the three-crowns civic emblem of Kingston-Upon-Hull during the 35/36 season.
In March 1999 it was decided a new official crest should be designed. This was done by James Hinchliffe, a graphic design student at Leeds University and son of one of the club's former presidents. This badge featured a new-look tiger's head, the Humber Bridge and the three crowns from the civic crest. However, Hull City have reverted to yet another tiger design coinciding with the move to the KC Stadium in 2003.
The crest has been subjected to some minor alterations in recent years. In 2014 a simple shield design with a tiger's head was used, making Hull City one of the few English league clubs to have a badge without the club name featured on it. More recently, the club's owners attempted to change the name of the side to the 'Hull City Tigers' which was reflected on the crest. Unrest from the fans about this effected a change back to the former club logo, which features the club's traditional name as well as its nickname, the Tigers.
- - - - - -
Written by Harry Almond