The current Fulham F.C. crest was introduced as recently as May 2001, following a great deal of research by the club that showed only 14% of football supporters actually recognised the previous design. It was also introduced to give the club complete control over its identity, whereas use of the previous crest – owned by the London Borough of Hammersmith and Fulham and not the club itself – presented problems in the area of trademarking.
The present badge was designed to reflect the core values of the club as it welcomed in a new generation of supporters. It also presented a strong, recognisable brand for the club, taking traditional elements of the previous design and representing them in a modern format. This resulted in a contemporary design to bring the club into what was a new age for football.
The first crest, a large black image of Craven Cottage, was introduced in 1931 when it was felt the club needed a new identity. It lasted throughout the 1930s. A simple, retro F.F.C. logo was introduced in 1973 lasted just four years before the reintroduction of the London Borough of Hammersmith & Fulham crest in various guises. This remained in use until the redesign in 2001.
- - - - - -
Written by Harry Almond