After the early stages of the club being known as The Riverside F.C. the first incarnation of Cardiff City held the beloved city coat of arms until 1959 when the infamous Bluebird made its debut appearance.
During the 1960s the clubs shirts featured an italic Bluebirds title set at 45 degrees until 1969 when the bluebird itself reappeared flying this time upwards rather than down.
An update of the crest appeared in 1985 featuring more detail and both the clubs title and nickname. This more detailed iteration lasted until 2003 when the club added the radical backdrop of the yellow flag of St David. Then with clubs last season at Ninian Park saw the teams shirts emblazoned with their 1985 crest inside a black outlined shield.
After being purchased by a well documented Malaysian consortium in 2011 the new board indicated and initiated the wish to switch the club from blue to red, a colour palette considered lucky in the Far East. After much protest the board went ahead regardless incorporating a new crest demoting the Bluebird and focusing on a dominant red Welsh dragon.
After alienating fans the clubs owner showed a change of heart in 2015 and reverted the club back to their original blue scheme as well as amending the crest to promote the classic Bluebird whilst demoting that dominant dragon.