Established in 1875, Blackburn are one of only three clubs to have been both a founding member of the Football League and the Premier League. 1928 and 1960 saw the club wear an iteration of their towns coat of arms for their FA Cup Final appearances, then during the late 1970s the club adopted a royal blue Maltese cross, a motif associated with the local school teams at the time.
Club records show the players often went out with a three-lion crest sewn upon their shirts however this was later to be recorded as official FA badges which players, capped for their country had attached via their England shirts to distinguish them from uncapped colleagues. This sneaky touch died out around the late 1890s.
1974 saw the club pull focus on their dear Lancaster Red Rose above the clubs initials until 1989 when an overhaul in the design introduced a prominent rose of Lancaster, the year the club was founded and motto taken from the town's coat of arms ‘Arte Et Labore’ meaning ‘By Skill and By Labour’. A true classic in all club crest design that still holds its own in the modern era.