Back in 1905, Small Heath Football club amended their name to represent their location. Birmingham City F.C. was born and as did so many clubs, adopted their city's coat of arms. Although not always worn on kits these arms represented the club on match day programmes and general League documents.
For a period of five seasons the shirt carried the intertwined lettering B.C.F.C. until the city's local paper The Sports Argus ran a competition in 1972 on behalf of the club to design a new crest as part of their centenary celebrations. The winning entry featured a line drawn globe and ball, supposedly to represent the clubs global appeal although this crest didn't feature on a shirt until 1976.
To celebrate the clubs 140th anniversary for the 2016/17 season the club introduced the intertwined B.C.F.C. initials that was first seen on jerseys in 1971. In addition the crest included the year the club was founded, 1875. The blues have since returned to their global appeal ident.