Real Madrid's debut crest consisted of a decorative, interlacing of the clubs three initials "MCF" standing for Madrid Club de Fútbol. This stayed in place until 1908 when the type was reworked and streamlined into a circle shape that would inform the crests future design iterations.
In 1920, the clubs president Pedro Parages oversaw King Alfonso's grant of royal patronage to the club which brought in not only a name change to "Real Madrid" meaning "Royal" but the Kings Crown added to the head of the clubs emblem. The clubs full name now reading "Real Madrid Club de Fútbol".
With the dissolution of the Spanish monarchy in 1931, the Madrid crest lost all royal symbols and their royal title of Real. The club moved forward with a part-time redesign that featured the dark Mulberry band of the Region of Castile. This was short lived however and two years after the end of the civil war royalty was restored alongside the Mulberry band. In addition, the clubs crest was now seen for the first time in a prominent gold and blue color palette to match their royal status.
Tiny tweaks have been made over the years including a darkening of the Mulberry band in 2001 as well as the 2017 removal of the crowns cross on shirts on sale throughout the Middle East.