Barça was founded bearing the coat of arms of the city of Barcelona. A diamond shape divided into four quarters with a crown and black bat on top accompanied by two branches, one a laurel tree, the other, a palm.
This initial design remained unchanged until around 1910 after the club had been saved from a serious crisis. The decision had been made to create a new crest to define a new era of the club.
In 1920 the club held a competition between club members interested in presenting proposed designs. The winner, Carles Comamala, a former player between 1903 and 1912 was studying medicine at the time but turned out to also be a fine artist. Bar minor tweaks, his design still holds its own today.
The bowl-shaped design features two upper quarters maintaining the St George Cross and the red and yellow bars of the Catalonian flag. Club initials FCB appear on a strip across the centre of the crest with the Barcelona colours and ball in the lower half. A crest that honours not just the sporting honours of the clubs but its connection to city and country.
When Franco came to power, the letters FCB were replaced by CFB, to reflect the way the club was forced to use the Spanish version of its name. The dictatorship also obliged the club to remove two of the four bars from one of the upper quarters, thus excluding the Catalan flag from the crest. On occasion of the club’s 50th anniversary in 1949, the four bars returned. The original letters were not recovered until late 1974 when the badge reverted to the original 1910 design.
The present crest is based on an adaptation made by designer Claret Serrahima in 2002.